Friday, January 8, 2010

Viera joins Man City

Manchester City midfielder Patrick Vieira believes his new club are still in the Premier League title race and that there is enough quality at Eastlands to win a trophy for the first time in 33 years.

The veteran France international passed a medical on Thursday to become Roberto Mancini's first signing as City manager and was presented to the media on Friday afternoon.

"When you look at the players the club has got you can achieve a lot," Vieira said. "I strongly believe we are not out of the race to win the title. I am sure we can do it.''

"I chose City because I really believe something can be achieved at this club and I want to be part of it. I believe the team is strong enough to win trophies."

Vieira joined City from Inter Milan, where he won three Serie A titles, two under the guidance of Mancini, and hopes to add to the three Premier League titles he won with Arsenal.

The midfielder signed a six-month deal at Eastlands with an option for a further year and is confident he will prove he still has what it takes to perform at the top level.

"I believe in myself," Vieira said. "I know I am not 20, but I am not 40-45. Overall I am really motivated. I know I can give something to this club and hopefully we will be successful this year."

Vieira also admitted the move was motivated in part by his desire to secure first-team football to work his way into the France squad ahead of the World Cup finals.

"I hope that the club as well will give me the opportunity to get back to the French national team,'' he added.

Mancini was delighted to be reunited with Vieira and believes his new signing will help City to imporove their performances this season.

"Patrick won with Arsenal, with Juventus, with Inter a lot of trophies. I think he must continue at City. He can help us to improve our performance, for sure.''

It remains to be seen whether he will be match fit to face Blackburn Rovers on Monday night, having taken in kick to the calf in his final appearance for Inter on Wednesday. In any case, Vieira knows he will have to prove he is worthy of a place in the City starting line-up.

No comments: