Thursday, June 30, 2011

Villas-Boas: I'm the Group One

ANDRE VILLAS-BOAS signalled his arrival at Chelsea by declaring: I'm the Group One.

The Portuguese boss, 33, was quick to shrug off his tag as the 'mini-Mourinho' at his unveiling this morning.   And in a dig at his former mentor Jose Mourinho, known as the Special One, he said: "This is not a one-man show. 

"Maybe I should be called the Group One. I want to group people together."

Mourinho's dull style of football was one of the factors that cost him his job in 2007 — despite leading Chelsea to back-to-back Premier League titles in 2005 and 2006.  But Villas-Boas, who was an assistant at Stamford Bridge during that era, insisted: "It's not just a case of winning, it's a case of flair.

"It should be an entertaining game for the fans and that is what we will look to do."
Villas-Boas knows he must bring glory to the Blues after Carlo Ancelotti was ruthlessly axed at the end of the season.

He added: "Of course, the contract is a three-year contract and the expectations of the club are to the maximum.

"There's no doubt about it there is a compromise with a certain amount of trophies.  That's the challenge we face on a day-by-day basis not only in the football business."

Villas-Boas will go head-to-head with Manchester United manager Alex Ferguson for the Premier League crown next season.


He is 36 years younger than the Scot — but Villas-Boas does not see that as a big issue.  He said: "It's not just a question of me taking on Sir Alex, it's a question of a top club like Chelsea challenging for the title again.

"Last year, we ended up on a very good run to threaten for the title in the last couple of games.  "I want us to be there again but from the beginning"

"It's all part of the empathy I want to create with the players, to challenge them and challenge their motivation to be successful. 

"It's not just one man against the others, it's trying to build something with them to make us powerful and threaten for titles."

Villas-Boas also expects his new players to show him respect, despite some of the senior members of the squad being older than him.  The Portuguese added: "It's normal for people to judge my age because it all happened at a very young age for me.

"I started my career at 18. It's something I take normally. I think players are professional enough to respect the manager."

source: Thesun.co.uk

No comments: